Valves are the most crucial plumbing products. We use valves to block the flow of liquid or for regulation purposes. Valves are present in a diverse range. We can get multiple shapes, sizes, and materials for a single type of Valve.
Although a wide range of valve materials is present, there is intense competition between DZR (Brass) and Bronze valves. People mostly think these are the same, but it’s not true. There are many differences between the DZR valve and the bronze valve. Their properties and workings are different in many aspects.
Let’s dive into the details!
What is a DZR Valve?
DZR is a type of brass. The term stands for Dezincification Resistant. It means that DZR brass can avoid dezincification. So, DZR valves are strongly resistant to a severe form of corrosion. DZR brass valves are perfect for long-term use without damage. It is more effective than regular brass. We use these valves widely for bathroom fitting purposes and many more.
Properties Of DZR (Brass):
We know that brass is an alloy containing copper and zinc. It has combined effects which makes it strong and versatile. Dezincification of brass includes the removal or loss of zinc due to corrosion. It is harmful to the products and makes them weak. Thus, dezincification resistant or DZR brass saves the pros of zinc. Following are some of the properties of DZR;
- DZR keeps zinc alive in the products with its excellent coping features. It enhances the life span of valves and other products where used.
- Brass itself is pretty strong. However, when it becomes DZR brass, it gets super strong features ideal for fittings. It also becomes suitable for a wide range of applications.
- DZR brass’ composition has less zinc content with a higher copper presence. Trace amounts of lead and other metals are also present. It gives DZR a very versatile nature to perform dynamically.
- DZR brass can perform well in the places where regular brass fails. It is perfect for installing water boiler systems. It can easily handle high chloride contents, higher temperatures, and other severe conditions. We can install DZR at sensitive sites which are at risk of corrosion.
What Is a Bronze Valve?
Bronze is one of those metals that has been ruling the industry from the very beginning. It is the oldest metal used in the plumbing industry. Bronze is composed of copper and tin metals. Both of these are traditional metals and are well known for their sustainability. Bronze ensures high strength and malleability. It does not crack easily due to its strong composition.
Properties of Bronze:
Bronze is a multitasker metal that comes in many compositions. It’s more common and trusted among users due to its use since ancient times. We are going to discuss the properties of bronze below to get a better understanding.
- Bronze exhibits hood strength within its structure. However, it is brittle but is far less brittle than iron and similar metals.
- We can install bronze at flammable and explosive sites. It is because it doesn’t produce sparks when we strike bronze against hard surfaces. It means bronze is suitable for heat-sensitive areas.
- Bronze is a budget-friendly product. It does not cost much and shows excellent properties.
- Bronze has a flexible nature. It means we change its shape by heating it without breaking its structure. Sometimes, to adjust fittings properly, this function is essential. It fixes the size problems quickly.
Differences in Specifications of DZR and Bronze:
There are many evident differences in the specifications of DZR and Bronze. These specs include chemical composition, physical properties, etc. Let’s check their differences in the form of a table.
|Others.||Trace amounts of iron, arsenic, and impurities.||Trace amounts of Aluminium, Manganese, Nickel, or Zinc.|
Physical Properties of DZR vs. Bronze.
|Electric Conductivity.||26% IACS.||7.4 ×10 six siemens/m|
|Modulus Of Elasticity.||106 KN/ mm2||72.4 KN/ mm2|
|Melting Point.||910°C.||1040 °C|
|Density.||8.43g/ cm3||8.8 g/ cm3|
|Specific heat.||0.377 KJ/kg K||0.435 KJ/kg K|
|Thermal Conductivity at 20°C.||117 W/m° K||85 W/m° K|
|Thermal Expansion Coefficient. 20-200°C||20.7 × 10-6 per °C||17 × 10-6 per °C|
|Electric Resistivity.||0.066 ohm mm2 /m||13.5ohmsm|
Why Should We use DZR Valves?
Valves are a must in plumbing fittings. They are present in dozens of sizes, shapes, and materials. Within the past few decades, DZR valves have been mainly used. They are gaining popularity among manufacturers and buyers. Indeed, it is because advanced features are present in DZR. We have analyzed some core.
- Unique Structure: DZR valves contain thickened body structure. The raw materials present in its composition have very high tensile strength. It not only gives it a thicker system but also enables high protection. This tight alignment of DZR valves makes them highly resistant to increased pressure.
- Corrosion Resistant: The chemical composition of DZR reveals the presence of arsenic to some extent. It adds to the corrosion-resistant properties of DZR valves. Besides this, DZR valves are best known for their remarkable performance in seawater. They can withstand high salt contents of seawater without corrosion or damage.
- Flow Control: DZR valves are perfect for controlling water flow or other liquids. They stop zinc from getting corrosion. Therefore, no zinc is released in flowing fluids. DZR valves have quality control products in a wide range. They are best for water control purposes. Especially in the case of potable water, they don’t pollute water with the loss of metals.
Get Premium Quality DZR Angle Valve from Plumberstar.
Why Should We Use Bronze Valves?
Bronze is one of the earliest alloys on earth. It has been credible for over centuries. Bronze valves rule over the plumbing in industrial and household applications. They are leading valves produced by the plumbing factories. They are easy to use and can handle the duty. Here are the top unique properties of using bronze valves.
- Ductile Property: The plumbing fittings need to deal with many variations. Often, we need to make slight adjustments while installing valves. Bronze valves are flexible. We can quickly draw them by heating them at a specific temperature.
- Cost-Effective: Bronze valves are probably the only ones in the market that costs less than other metallic alloys. They provide us with the best version of services by remaining budget-Friendly. It is one of the solid reasons why you should use bronze valves.
- Resistance Against Saltwater: A few metals like brass are very efficient but cannot perform well in salt water. Yet, bronze is perfect for dealing with saltwater in marine operations. It is equally effective for soft and hard water. We can say that bronze is not only good at corrosion resistance but also saltwater resistance.
Get Premium Quality Bronze Ball Valve From Plumberstar.
Significant Differences Between DZR valves and Bronze Valves:
DZR and bronze valve share a few similar factors but do contain significant differences. DZR valves are new to the market as they were introduced a few decades ago. However, bronze valves have served the industry for a long time. Each one is suitable for specific uses where they give the best performance.
- Composition: The first difference between the DZR and the bronze valve is their composition. DZR has 60% copper in the lead with around 35% zinc. Zinc content is relatively greater than regular brass. Arsenic, lead, and tin is also present in trace amounts to give it different pros.
Bronze differs significantly in composition. It has the highest ratio of copper, around 88%, with a 12% contribution from the tin. Although these two make up most of the bronze valve structure, some trace elements are also present. These may be nickel, aluminum, manganese, etc.
- Appearance: DZR valves have a pretty fresh color appearance. They are yellowish or golden with some finishing.
Bronze valves, on the other hand, are reddish-brown due to the highest content of copper in them.
- Durability: DZR brass and bronze valves both are durable and reliable in their existence. But DZR being brass, is more durable in structure than bronze. At the same time, bronze is stable to a smaller extent than DZR valves.
- Corrosion-Resistance: DZR valves and bronze valves fight very well against corrosion. But there is a slight difference. DZR can survive hard through chlorides and salt waters. Yet, due to its efficiency, bronze is well adapted to bear marine and saltwater conditions.
- Temperature Limits: DZR brass has different temperature parameters than regular brass. Due to other compositions, it has a bit lower melting point than bronze. DZR brass is suitable for performing in higher temperatures, but bronze has a more significant temperature limit.
Here are the product specifications of DZR valves and Bronze valves.
|DZR Valve||Bronze Valve|
|Specifications. Product: DZR Brass Ball Valve. Material: Brass body, bonnet, steel handle. Size: DN20 × 25MM × M40X3Pressure: 0.6MPa to 0.8 MPaWorking Temperature: -20 to 110°C.Thread: BSP, NPT.Applications: Potable Water Fittings.Pipelines. Hot temperature operations.||Specifications.Product: 3 Way Bronze Ball Valve.Material: Bronze body, bonnet, steel handle.Size: 1/4 to 1/2Pressure: 0.6 MPa to 0.8MPaThread: NPT, NPTF, BSP, BSPT, etc.Working Temperature: -20 to 120°C.Applications:Marine Environments. Flow Control.Petrochemicals.|
DZR and bronze both are very efficient metal alloys. They differ in a few properties, but each has its due functions. If you plan to choose one of these products, we suggest you analyze your requirements thoroughly. Then select the right one depending upon the Valve’s media flow, temperature, and physical endurance. It will enable you to get the best product with stunning features.